Saturday, June 23, 2012

Waiting on the Waves of Change

With the arrival of summer, I've been beach bound once again, book in hand, bottle of lotion and blanket at the ready. It's a quick escape. A working daycation. Many writers find inspiration at the shore, among the sand and sea. It helps me, too. Even as I sit back and read, seemingly in a state of utter relaxation, inside I am plotting and planning and charting my course, wondering what the waves of change have in store for me. And when they might happen to come along. The beach is really a perfect place for reflection and for working on being patient, for as any writer can attest to, waiting is a major part of the game.

So many kind folks have been asking me lately when my next book will be released. The simple reply is I don't know. I've written two more since WISHLESS and the third one is currently in production. My agent is handling these titles and working tirelessly to get us "out there" once again. The plain truth about publishing is it's not a game for the impatient. We wait for editors to read our work. We wait for responses that sometimes don't come for months and months if at all. It's a lot like watching the waves from a distance and waiting for one to get close enough to wet your toes. They roll in. They roll out. They get close. Really close. But often not close enough. So we move our chairs, shift position, try to get as near as we can. Yet we can't control the water. And we can't control the answers. They'll come when they're good and ready. And not a minute before.

Sometimes it gets so hot on that sand. The breeze quiets down and the sun is blazing and you have to get up from where you are and stroll down to the waters edge and wade in. Take matters into your own hands and barge right up to those waves. Meet them head-on. Then you're wet and you cool down a little and you can return to your reading and your planning and your waiting. For those answers.

If only they were more like the waves...





No comments:

Post a Comment