Friday, May 9, 2014

Moms, Monsters & Marathons

It's that time again - to pay homage to those women to whom we owe our very lives. Mom's are skilled in imparting their wisdom in such fashion that we may not only grow into decent human beings but also never, ever embarrass them in any way. Thanks to my mom I've learned that I didn't live in a barn ("Shut that door behind you") or that we weren't trying to heat or cool the entire neighborhood. She's taught me about world hunger ("Finish your peas. Don't you know there are children starving in Africa?") and about religion, too ("You'd better pray that nail polish comes out of that bedspread".)
Becoming a mother myself made me appreciate the beauty in the reply. My personal fave:
Kid: Can we get a pony?
Me: No
Kid: Why not?
Me: Because I said so. (It's a gem, isn't it?)
My hats off to the woman who crafted that little ditty.
Mothers are born creators. And we just love our fiction. When my kids were young I got about a million miles out of the "Santa's watching so you'd better behave" threat. Same rule of behavior applied to the Easter Bunny. We kept 'em in line with the "your face will freeze that way" tale, and keep them safe from the dreaded Sleep Sucker with a can of Mom's Famous Monster Spray. One shot of that and a dark bedroom was boogeyman-free.
If I had to sum it all up, I'd say that motherhood is a lot like running a 10k in 6-inch heels, spiked heels. In the rain. Up hill. Both ways. Yet when we reach the finish line, our reward awaits. There our children will be to offer us those three little words that make it all worthwhile.
"What's for dinner?"
Blessings moms, one and all.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVED the idea of 'Mom's Famous Can of Monster Spray'. I'm totally going to use that with my 3 little boys. They all sleep in the hall outside my door & at least one ends up in bed with me. I don't know why we even bought them beds. I can't remember when they last slept in them. What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete